There still remained an area between the two that had no fire protection, so a group of citizens organized the Bismark Heights Volunteer Fire Department. The department added equipment through the years but had experienced difficulty keeping track and caring for the equipment. So in July 1911, the Bismark Heights Volunteer Department incorporated so it could have recourse to law to protect the equipment. This incorporation would eventually lead to the Lemay Fire Protection District.
On December 6, 1920 the Longwood and Luxemburg Volunteer Fire departments were invited to consolidate with Dewey Heights as one organization. By 1921, both departments turned their equipment and assets over to Dewey Heights.
In 1933, a tag system was introduced to pay for the protection which consisted of 1500 people. Later that year, full time firefighters were added, giving 24 hour service.
In May 1942, the voters in the Lemay area approved a tax-supported fire district. The Dewey Heights Fire Department was officially named the Lemay Fire Protection District. The district operated out of the fire station located at Erskine and Orient Avenue until 1992.
In 1991, land was purchased, and a new firehouse was built at 1201 Telegraph Road in central Lemay. The firehouse opened in 1992 and is still being used today.
The great flood of 1993 impacted the Lemay area and the Lemay Fire District responded to help its citizens once again. The north part of Lemay has been flooded causing propane tanks to become loose and creating an exposing hazard. With the help of many fire agencies, the disaster was prevented and lives were saved.